EDTU X is a series of advanced courses for those who have completed and consolidated their basic skills. Various modules will be combined into one-day courses and offered at training hubs across Canada. Each day can accommodate twenty-four learners. The course is relevant for emergency physicians, critical care physicians, internists and family physicians.
Like EDTU, EDTU X maximizes hands-on instruction time by using a high instructor to participant ratio, and by requiring that instructional lectures be watched by participants prior to the start of the course. EDTU X also focuses on the clinical integration of PoCUS skills by using cases on course day to review pathology and clinical management.
“EDTU X-Diagnostics” encompasses advanced point of care ultrasound applications for problems you’ll encounter in everyday practice. Whether it’s assessing abdominal pain for the presence of gallstones, deciding whether a soft tissue infection needs an incision and drainage or promptly identifying a retinal detachment so your patient can get urgent surgery, the skills taught in this course are valuable tools to augment your clinical decision making.
At the end of his program learners will be able to:
- Generate views and identify relevant anatomy for the gallbladder, kidneys, eyes, soft tissues and lower extremity deep veins.
- Identify gallbladder pathology such as cholelithiasis and cholecystitis
- Identify renal pathology such as nephrolithiasis and hydronephrosis
- Identify ocular pathology including lens dislocation, vitreous hemorrhage, globe rupture, posterior vitreous detachment and retinal detachment.
- Identify soft tissue pathology including cellulitis, abscess and foreign bodies.
- Identify a deep vein thrombosis of the lower extremities
- Integrate these applications into the care of patients
- Discuss the potential pitfalls and errors in performing and integrating these scans